However good your intentions may be, it’s hard sometimes to work up the motivation to stick with healthy habits like workouts or eating well. But there are a lot of resources out there to help keep you motivated to be healthy!
- Insurance perks. Some insurance programs actually reward healthy behavior with benefits like discounts on their services and prizes ranging from movie tickets to a free iPad! Be sure to check with your insurance company to see what they offer.
- Health blogs. Of course you’ll want to research the claims and make sure they’re backed up with solid data, but blogs are a great way to connect with fitness and health professionals as well as others trying to get and stay healthy. The blog format also lets you ask questions, make comments, and maintain a community of like-minded folks who can keep your motivation going.
- Health apps. There probably is an app for that—whether “that” is tracking calories, organizing a workout, or a cool way to gamify your healthy habits. Some of these apps will even reward you with real cash: The app Pact lets you set goals and, once you’ve achieved them, get financial rewards. And that’s not even counting all the apps that help you find bike routes (BikeNav), interpret nutrition labels (Fooducate), and more.
- Social networks. Sure, you could use your Facebook account to kvetch about work…or you could use it to team up with other people who are trying to make healthy choices. Just like in the offline world, finding people who support your efforts means a better chance of achieving your goals. In fact, Penn State has done the research: people who had the support of a friend, family member, or significant other logged more fitness hours than those who didn’t.
- Find healthy habits you love. Sometimes this is easier said than done, but it really works. When you love what you’re doing to be healthy, you’re more likely to do it. Try lots of activities and recipes until something really strikes your fancy.
Staying motivated to be healthy can be tough, but when your motivation is lacking, know you’ve got plenty of resources out there to help you get back on top of your game!