Loyalty: expressing devoted attachment towards someone, or something.
This is one of the cornerstones of most relationships. Loyalty is expressed with action.
- Does he/she turn off Call of Duty when you walk through the door?
- Does he/she call you back in a timely manner or do you have to wait hours for them to respond with a “k” to your 140 character message?
Loyalty is one of the easiest things to gauge because you’re measuring action. You’re looking at how they prioritize you in their life. The best way to understand loyalty is to look at your own attachments.
What are you loyal to?
- Monthly brunches with the girls?
When you’re able to prioritize the loyalties you have for yourself, it becomes easier to understand and accept the loyalties of others. It also helps put your relationship into perspective.
If your significant other ranks #25 on your list of priorities, then is it realistic to expect him/her to place you in their top 5?
Today’s Assignment: Take a few minutes to answer the following and reflect on your answers to these questions:
- What does loyalty mean to me? Is there a difference between emotional and physical loyalty?
- Why am I loyal? What keeps me from wanting to break someone’s trust?
- What does the gray area of my loyalty consist of? Cheating? Sexting? Flirting?
- What are the deal breakers in my relationship? Lying? Infidelity?